Delta Rho Chapter
Central Michigan University
Founded: April 30, 1993
Ideal Chapter Size: 50
President - Clayton Ferguson
Director - Mike Meekhof
Director - William Parris
Chapter Advisor - Tyler Verdusco
President - Alex Wright
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - [2017, 2015, 2014]
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2016, 2013, 2012, 2011]
Dr. Otto L. Sonder Chapter Advisor of the Year
Schreiber, Marcus L. '04 
Delta Beta Xi
Barker, Martin G. '93 
Hillman, Brock D. '97 
Latour, Steven J. '04 
Rusk, Rodney M. '93 
Senter, Tracee S. '93 
Undergraduate Scholar of the Year
Davis, Connor F. '12 
Central Michigan Normal and Business Institute opened in 1892. It came under state control and was renamed Central Michigan Normal School in 1895. By 1918, enrollment had grown to 450 on a 25 acre campus. On June 1, 1959, the school became Central Michigan University, with 4,500 students and 40 buildings on a 235 acre campus. In 1993, the campus enrollment was 17,000 on site and 9,600 off-site students studying for 22 degrees in 120 majors.
Delta Phi Rho Fraternity (letters standing for Diversity, Friendship, and Respect) was organized by Mark Jewell and six friends in 1989. The objective of Delta Phi Rho was to have unity through diversity. After a year of local operation, in early 1990, Robert Cabello, Eastern Michigan '70, convinced Delta Phi Rho to seek affiliation with Alpha Sigma Phi. Delta Phi Rho became an interest group of Alpha Sigma Phi on October 5, 1990. Recognition of Delta Phi Rho as an interest group of Alpha Sigma Phi was granted by the Central Michigan University IFC on November 17, 1990. In 1991, the colony obtained housing on Central Michigan University's Greek Row.
Membership grew to 31 and the group was recognized as the Phi Kappa Colony of Alpha Sigma Phi in ceremonies at Cascarelli's West on October 12, 1991. Director of Undergraduate Operations Jeff Owens, Illinois '87, spoke for the Fraternity Staff. Grand Senior President Charles Vohs, Penn State '75, Grand Secretary and Grand Chapter Advisor, Robert Cabello, Eastern Michigan '70, spoke for the Fraternity. On February 22, 1992, the colony was granted full membership in the IFC. In 1992-93, the colony faced limited recruitment resources and struggled, opening the Fall term with 17 men. Fall recruitment produced the third largest new member class of any fraternity on the campus, doubling the size of the colony. The colony leased housing at 510 Main Street, Mount Pleasant, Michigan. In Spring 1993 the colony won the Provosts Cup for highest fraternity grade point average.
The chapter was installed on April 30, 1993, by Grand Senior President Charles Vohs, Penn State '75, Grand Secretary Robert Cabello, Eastern Michigan '70, and Director of Chapter Services Jeff Owens, Illinois '87. Marty Barker, Central Michigan '93, was elected the chapter's first president and Robert C. Look, Lawrence Tech '74, was the chapter's first Grand Chapter Advisor. The chapter bought the 510 Main Street facility and operated from it until 1999. Business majors dominated undergraduate membership and intramural sports became a focus for activity and interest. The chapter frequently teamed with Alpha Chi Omega in campus activities. Beginning in 2000, membership declined. In Fall 2002 only four undergraduate members returned to campus and recruitment was unsuccessful. The 2002-2003 undergraduates were granted alumni status and chapter operations were suspended for the year.
In Fall 2003, Jim Vanek, Michigan '98, and the Delta Rho Alumni Association organized an interest group of four men: Steve Latour, Marc LaNore, Marc Schreiber, and Joe Walczak to re-build the chapter. By August 21, 2004, the group had grown to a membership of 25 men. They were initiated and the charter was restored. In January 2005, the chapter obtained a house at 1507 East Broadway. The chapter initiated its Psi New Member Class of 17 men on September 26, 2005. On December 8, 2005, the chapter held its first formal dance since its re-organization. From 2005 through 2008 the Chapter, with assistance from the Alumni Association and Chapter Council, renewed focus on core chapter operations, Brotherhood and Recruitment for the building of a sustained Fraternity. This effort resulted in a new member class of 14 for the Fall Term 2008 and a new member class of six for the Winter Term 2009.
Steve Latour, Central Michigan '04, served on the Fraternity staff from 2005-2014 and was tapped to serve as CEO of Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity starting January 1, 2015. Alex Wright, Central Michigan '08, joined staff in the spring of 2015 as the Coordinator of Business Operations.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.