Alpha Xi Chapter
Illinois Institute of Technology
Founded: October 28, 1939
Ideal Chapter Size: 40
President - Ryan Siddall
Recruitment Director - Michael Milici
Alumni Director - Joseph Barba
Grand Chapter Advisor - Jackie Parker
Alumni Association President - Christopher Lee
Grand Senior President's Cup - [1976, 1968, 1966, 1964]
Alpha Kappa Pi Gold Cup - 
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - 
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2013, 2012, 2011]
Dr. Otto L. Sonder Chapter Advisor of the Year Award
Kokkelenberg, Edward C. '54 
Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award
Wajnert, Thomas C. ’61 
Delta Beta Xi Award
Coccia, Michael A. ’42 
Dahlstrom, Theodore A. ’58 
Fitzpatrick, James V. ’47 
Freund, Robert J. ’44 
Hudson, C. Kenneth ’52 
Kokkelenberg, Edward C. ’54 
McMahon, James C. ’78 
Morrissey, George M. ’62 
Mueller, Harald C. ’39 
Neil, Forrest C. ’45 
Petersen, John S. ’48 
Peterson, Otto S. ’39 
Schmitz, Norman S. ’43 
Singer, Thomas T. ’50 
Wajnert, Thomas C. ’61 
Undergraduate Scholar of the Year
Lee, Christopher C. '06 
Althoff, Judson B. '91 
Belytschko Theodore '62 
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
White, Justin A. '09 
Frank F. Hargear Memorial Award
Althoff, Judson B. '91 
Armour Institute of Technology opened in 1893. In 1940, it merged with Lewis Institute in 1940, taking the name Illinois Institute of Technology.
On February 1, 1913, the Gamma Chapter of Beta Phi National Fraternity was chartered at Armour Institute of Technology. In 1919, the National Fraternity of Beta Phi dissolved, leaving the group as a local fraternity. In 1923, the fraternity was chartered as the Gamma Chapter of Phi Pi Phi. Prior to World War II, the chapter house was located at 3131 South Michigan Avenue. The chapter house was taken for Navy V-12 training quarters in 1942. The chapter had long dominated the intramural basketball competition, winning 16 consecutive titles beginning in 1917.
In June 1939, Gamma of Phi Pi Phi was re-chartered the Alpha Xi Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi. In the late 1940's, the chapter was located at 3154 S. Michigan Avenue, and in 1957 moved to 3224 S. Michigan Avenue. In 1963, the chapter moved into a new house on college owned land at 3361 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago.
The Chapter won three consecutive Grand Senior President's Awards in 1964, 1966, and 1968, and a fourth in 1976. The 1964 Grand Senior President's award was accepted by then undergraduate member Thomas C. Wajnert, IIT '61. Theodore Belytschko, IIT '61, and Judson Althoff, IIT '91, were Alpha Sigma Phi Scholars of the year in 1964 and 1994, and Althoff was an Undergraduate Grand Councilor, in 1993-94, and won the Frank F. Hargear Award winner in 1993. Alpha Xi Chapter won National Province Leadership Awards in 1968 and 1970, and assisted with expansion at Indiana (Gamma Chi), Loyola (Delta Alpha), and Northern Michigan (Delta Beta) Universities. From the late 1990's to 2006, the chapter had a history of risk management policy violations, and its housing corporation developed a debt of over $150,000.00 to the Illinois Institute of Technology for unpaid lease installments and damage repair charges on its on campus house. Notification of impending charter revocation motivated alumni, and debt and undergraduate behavior problems were resolved. The chapter newsletter "32d Street Sentinel," was replaced by "The Oak Wreath."
James Fitzpatrick, IIT '47, was a longtime leader of alumni support for the chapter and served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. Michael Coccia, IIT '42, also served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. Otto Kuehn, Gamma of Phi Pi Phi '23, served as National Secretary and Executive Secretary of Phi Pi Phi from 1933 to 1937. Thomas C. Wajnert, IIT '61 served as a Trustee and as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Alpha Sigma Phi Educational Foundation, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Award in 2001. Fourteen alumni of the chapter have been awarded the Delta Beta Xi Award.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.