Delta Alpha Chapter
Loyola University of Chicago
Founded: February 3, 1968
Delta Beta Xi
Heneghan, Michael '68 
Moore, Carl E. '86 
Loyola University was founded as Saint Ignatius College in 1869. It moved to its lakeshore campus in 1911. Local fraternities developed beginning in the 1920's, and national fraternities were authorized in the 1950's.
In 1957, a group of ROTC students opposed to the hazing involved in the new member process at the existing fraternities founded Sigma Delta Phi. A constitution was adopted and it was recognized in January 1958. Its purpose was, To unite a body of men into a living creed on whose continuous achievements rest the foundations of the future; to benefit its brothers academically, morally, and physically, as well as socially; to be led by principle rather than by special interests, and to advance brotherly love and advancements among its brothers.
In five months, Sigma Delta Phi grew to 40 members. It originated Greek Week on the Loyola campus, was named Loyola's organization of the year in 1963, and won the IFC Sing for four years from 1963 through 1966. Sigma Delta Phi also initiated Help Week, a neighborhood service and clean up project.
Bill Brown, IIT '65, approached Sigma Delta Phi President Jim Brophy about seeking a charter in Alpha Sigma Phi. In March 1967, 61 members of Sigma Delta Phi petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi for a charter. At the time of chartering, Sigma Delta Phi had 129 alumni. The petition was approved, and the chapter was installed on February 3, 1968. The chartering banquet was held at the Orrington Hotel, Evanston, Illinois. Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32 was Master of Ceremonies and Grand Senior President Ray Glos, Illinois '22, presented the charter to Chapter President Greg Thomas. Province Programs Coordinator George Trubow, Michigan '53, Ed Madison, Alabama '58, and Grand Province Chief Bob Allen, Purdue '43, attended the chartering.
The Sigma Delta Phi house at 1062 West Columbia, Chicago was converted from a triplex built in 1913. It accommodated 18 men, an alumni advisor and a cook. The chapter more than doubled its membership during 1990-91, and the chapter house and parking area were renovated. "Dogs of War" was the chapter newsletter. Carl E. Moore, Loyola '68 was President of the Alumni Corporation through the late 1970's to late 1980's. After several years of low membership, no initiations, and deteriorating conditions in the chapter house, the chapter surrendered its charter in the late 1990's. The chapter initiated 349 members through the time of closing.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.