Gamma Gamma Chapter
University of Connecticut
Founded: February 20, 1943
Re-Chartered: April 23, 2016
President - Andrew Ball
Recruitment Director - Matthew Yanovskiy
Alumni Director - Matthew Leheny
Grand Chapter Advisor - John Blake
Alumni Association President - None
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - 2017
The Connecticut General Assembly in 1881 passed legislation establishing the land grant college that has become the University of Connecticut. In October of 1941, Phi Kappa Lambda was organized at the University of Connecticut. Two years later, the group became the fourth national fraternity at the University of Connecticut when Alpha Kappa Pi granted a charter to its Alpha Nu Chapter. Operations were suspended shortly thereafter due to World War II.
Six returning servicemen revived Gamma Gamma Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi in September 1946. On campus housing was obtained for 50 members. The chapter won the 1957-58 Scholastic Improvement Award. In 1970, the University interpreted Title IX as prohibiting provision on university housing for gender selective groups. All fraternities and sororities were required to leave the on-campus housing, and several closed. The chapter closed in 1972 after initiating 549 members. The University reversed its position on providing housing for Greek letter organizations in 1976.
A colony was established at the University of Connecticut in 1999 through the efforts of Alpha Sigma Phi Director of Expansion Drew Thawley, Ohio Wesleyan '94. The group did not meet standards for chartering, and disbanded. Another effort at reviving the chapter was authorized in 2006, but did not occur.
Robert E. Miller, U Conn '49, served on the Grand Council and as two term Grand Senior President of Alpha Sigma Phi. He also served as a Trustee of the Alpha Sigma Phi Educational Foundation in the 1980's and 90's, as Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and as Secretary of the Trust until December 31, 2004. Brother Miller received the Delta Beta Xi Award and won the Distinguished Service Award in 1988.
The Gamma Gamma Colony at the University of Connecticut was re-started in the Fall of 2015 by TJ Brennan, Seton Hall '11. The colony initiated 79 men in their first semester, the initiation was assisted by undergraduate men from Gamma (Massachusetts). The founding President was Ryan Cunniff, Connecticut '15.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.