University of Michigan
Founded: October 23, 1908
Ideal Chapter Size: 100
President - Daniel Kollar-Gasiewski
Director - Sam Chalfin
Director - Lucas Maiman
Chapter Advisor - John M. Lapetz
President - Michael Denko
Fall 2016 Theta Chapter Newsletter
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup (2016, 2011)
Most Improved Chapter
Grand Senior President's Cup
Frank F. Hargear Memorial
W. Gardner Mason
Evin Varner Distinguished Service
The University of Michigan was founded in 1817 in Detroit. It moved to Ann Arbor in 1837 and now enrolls over 26,000 undergraduate students. The first building for exclusively the fraternity chapter use was a cabin occupied by the Michigan Chapter of Chi Psi in 1845. The petition of the organizers of the Theta Chapter was approved in the Spring of 1908. Initiations and installation took place in the Fall of 1908 at Marietta College. First meetings of the chapter were held at 331 Packard Street. The meeting site soon changed to rooms in the Elks Club. In 1909-10 the chapter moved to 1511 Washtenaw Avenue, and in 1912 to 1315 Hill Street, at the corner of Forest Street. Since 1946 the chapter house has been at 920 Baldwin Avenue.
The chapter suffered a decline in membership in the late 1980's and absorbed an interest group of 18 men, bringing membership to 27 in the Spring of 1990. The temporary growth in 1990 did not translate into a long term improvement in chapter operations, however. The chapter ceased operation of its chapter house in 1991, and the house was temporarily leased to Delta Phi Epsilon sorority. The remaining undergraduates surrendered their charter and ritual materials late in 1992.
On October 22, 1995, an interest group was formed by nine men. 17 men moved back into the 920 Baldwin Street chapter house in Fall 1996, and seven more were recruited during the winter term. By 1997 the Chapter was fully functioning again.
Geoff Connell, Michigan '82, won the 1985 F. Hargear Award, and served on the Fraternity staff. James Aubert, Michigan '73, was Alpha Sigma Phi Scholar of the Year in 1975.
13 initiates of the chapter have served on the Grand Council or Grand Prudential Committee of Alpha Sigma Phi. George Trubow, Michigan '53, served as Grand Senior President of Alpha Sigma Phi from 1976 to 1978, and has received the Distinguished Service Award. William G. Mason, Michigan '17, former Grand Treasurer, has also received the Distinguished Service Award. Benjamin F. Clarke, Michigan '10, served as Grand Junior President from 1923 to 1937, and as Grand Marshal from 1937 to 1946, his 23 years being the longest continuous tenure on the Grand Council of any alumnus. Victor Scott, Michigan '40, served as National President of Phi Pi Phi. Peter Fuss, Michigan '54, served as a Trustee and Director of the Alpha Sigma Phi Educational Foundation. William C. Mullendore, Michigan '12, was an original Trustee of the Alpha Sigma Phi Memorial Fund, and was awarded the Distinguished Merit Award in 1953. Steven Gnewkowski, Michigan '67, serves as General Counsel to Alpha Sigma Phi. Jim Vanek, Michigan '98, and Albie Bell, Michigan '98, have served on the Fraternity staff.
Benjamin Oosterbaan, Michigan '25, was the University of Michigan's head football coach from 1948 through 1960, compiling a 66-33-4 record, a National Title, a Rose Bowl victory, and three Big Ten crowns. His tenure coincided with chapter brother Ivan Williamson's tenure as coach at Wisconsin (1949-55), and Eta Chapter alum Ray Eliot, head coach at Illinois (1942-59). 21 alumni of Theta Chapter have been received the Delta Beta Xi Award. Theta Chapter"s newsletter is "The Theta Wolverine."
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.